Follow these steps to install a new WordPress theme to your website using a compressed theme file(.zip,.tar,.rar etc):
Step 1: Open the wp-content folder in the root directory of WordPress and go to the themes folder.
Step 2: Upload the zip(or any other compressed file) theme file inside the theme folder.
Step 3: Go back to the theme folder, select the compressed theme file and click on extract.
Step 4: After the file is extracted you may still not see the extracted folder, so click on reload. Also, delete the zip file as it obsolete now.
Step 5: Now, go to the WordPress dashboard of your website and click on Appearance>Themes.
Step 6: You can now see your new theme in the installed themes section. Hover on your new theme and click Activate to activate the theme.
Congratulations you have finally installed and activated a new theme!
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL.Features include a plugin architecture and a template system.
Follow these steps to install WordPress:
Download WordPress from this link: https://wordpress.org/download/
Create an empty database for WordPress and specify it’s username and password.
Set up Wizard
- Step 1: Upload the downloaded compressed file on your website root directory and extract it.
- Step 2: Open the url of your website and install WordPress.
- Step 3: Specify the Database Name, Username, Password and Database Host.
- Step 4: A confirmation message will appear after the database settings are validated. Click on ‘Run the Installation’ button.
- Step 5: Provide the administrative information needed for your WordPress website and Install WordPress.
- Step 6: You have successfully installed WordPress and the final step is to log in, for which you will use the username and password entered at step 5.